1 - Pound bag of dry Pinto Beans. Must be soaked 6-8 hours or overnight.
1 - whole medium Onion, peeled
5 - slices of pork Fatback
1/2 pack sliced salt pork
1/2 - teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper
1/2 - teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Place dry beans in a colander and rinse well under cold running water.
2. Pour beans in a pot and cover with about 6 inches of cold water. Soak overnight.
3. Pour beans back in colander, drain, rinse again, stirring until water runs clear.
4. Place beans in a slow cooker, cover with about an inch of water.
5. Turn cooker on high to begin with, about 1 hour.
6. Add the whole, peeled Onion.
7. Add the five slices of Fatback.
8. Add the sliced salt pork.
9. Add the 1/2 - teaspoon of Cayenne Pepper.
10.Add the 1/2 - teaspoon garlic powder.
10.Add the 1/2 teaspoon black pepper and stir all ingredients well.
11.Turn the cooker to low when hot.
12.Let beans simmer all day until tender. Stir occasionally.
12.Don't allow the liquid to drop below the top of the beans. Add hot water as needed.
13.When beans are tender, taste and add salt if needed.
14.If you add salt, stir and simmer about 10-15 more minutes.
15.Serve warm and Enjoy!
Best served with cornbread & a fresh slice of onion.